Friday, September 19, 2008

Jammin'


Lately I have been a food storage junkie! I loved the case lot sales this month and I am glad I have 1 more week left to stock up on things at great prices. Last weekend one of the Brothers in my ward gave me a flat of blackberries. Boy did he open a can of worms for me! With in an hour I had them all cleaned and seperated, bad(garbage), o-kay (syrup and muffins that day!), really good I froze and planned on making jam. Well then on Wednesday our neighbor Alma gave us a Huge grocery sack full of peaches from her tree! I immediately thought of more jam, and peach cobbler and peach crisp. So far I made cooked jam from that, which was an accident because I thought I was making freezer jam, so I had to hand that out so it could be consumed with in a couple of weeks( I had 9 cups of it). Then I care fully read the recipies from that point on and have sucessfully made 3 batches of freezer jam! 1 batch of peach (7 cups) and 2 batches of strawberry (10 cups)( I got the strawberries for $2 for 2lbs at Sams club. Needless to say I feel like I have had some help getting prepaired this month! What would you do with out great neighbors and great sales from our grocery stores!
I have planned to make next week some blackberry freezer jam, strawberry peach freezer jam and blackberry peach freezer jam! I just have to wait till my next grocery trip to get more freezer containers and fruit pectin!

3 comments:

Brooke B said...

That sounds SO yummy, if you get around to it email me your recipe!

Anonymous said...

See how easy that was! I thought we were in the same ward and are neighbors, how come no one is giving me any free fruit?! :)

Unknown said...

Where did you learn to do all that? I've alway been intimidated of making things like jams and jellys. I'm impressed! -Michelle H.